My husband and I love to travel. So much so that we made a commitment to vacation for our wedding anniversary instead of buy gifts every year. Some people say that this concept will change when we have kids… but we really hope not! Traveling is our quality time. It bonds us together in a sweet and wonderful way.
Here is the deal, though. Traveling is EXPENSIVE.
Here are 5 easy ways that we save and pay for amazing vacations EVERY YEAR:
- We get paid weekly (me) and bi-weekly (him). Our monthly bills are budgeted off of a 4-week month… so that means in April, July, September, and December… We have an extra paycheck for me. In two out of those four mentioned months, we have an extra paycheck for him. YAY! Those extra funds get divided into Vacation and Christmas Savings.
- Every week we put $25 into our Vacation Savings. This is an automatic draft which guarantees that we NEVER forget.
- We will accept pretty much every side job offered throughout the year. Believe it or not, the small jobs add up quickly!
- We “spring clean” our closets every year. It is amazing what you will find to sell when you are motivated to book a flight to somewhere really cool.
- We use a credit card that offers travel points to pay for any expensive items throughout the year. Currently, we are using the American Express Hilton Honors card. Of course, we pay the credit card off right away (which results in MORE points). We cash those points in for travel vouchers. For the last two years we earned enough points for 5-nights FREE at a Hilton Hotels in Las Vegas (2014) and Portland (2015).
I hope some of these ideas encourage you to plan a trip. Spending quality time with the people you love is super-important and seeing God’s beauty is an added bonus!